Samsung Galaxy S3 KitKat update rollout will most probably not take place until the company finishes delivering Android 4.4 to its current flagships, the Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3. This is why custom ROM developers have taken the situation into their own hands to deliver the Android 4.4 Kit Kat update to impatient Galaxy S3 owners. Today’s custom ROM is called OmniROM, the aim of this custom Android build is to deliver a close to stock experience while adding some useful functionalities without losing any of the responsiveness that Kit Kat brings along with it.
OmniROM includes every change that Google introduced with Android 4.4 Kit Kat and adds some features of its own. Some of these features include new non-intrusive incoming call notifications, Active Display inclusion, and per app permissions.
Before we move on to the installation process, make sure to understand that we at AndroidOrigin don’t take any responsibility for any damage done to your device.
In order to successfully install this ROM, you need to have root access and a custom recovery like ClockworkMod 6.0.32 or later.
Now follow these simple instructions:
- Move both files to your Galaxy S3 FT-I9300′s SD card.
- Disconnect your device and turn it off.
- Enter recovery mode (Press and hold the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons until the Samsung logo is visible).
- Create a backup of your current ROM.
- Select ‘Install zip from SD card’, select the OmniROM zip file and confirm installation.
- Now install the PA Gapps package by doing the same as in step 5, only this time selecting the Google apps package.
- Once the installation is finished, go back to the main recovery menu and select ‘Wipe data/factory reset’.
- Now, all you need to do is select ‘Reboot system now’ and wait for your device to reboot completely (Might take up to 5 minutes).
Congratulations! You are now running Android 4.4 on your Galaxy S3. Make sure to let us know any new features or bugs found with OmniROM in the comments below.
If you have any questions, make sure to check out OmniROM’s official website for more information about the custom ROM.